What is a blog?
A blog (shortened form of “Weblog”) in simple words is a website, where a person writes about a topic of his own choice and interest with infographics, images, and some outbound links to different websites, in the form of posts that are shown in reverse chronological order.
A blog can be on any topic like technology, fashion, gadgets, finance, travel, business, news, etc. You need to regularly update the blog and have to give fresh content regularly.
Blogs are mainly operated by an individual author or a group of authors.
What is a website?
A website is a place that is mainly used by big companies, institutes or organizations to get connected to the internet. Websites are mainly used to showcase information and details about a company and institutions.
Website is mainly used to display information about a company, display products of a company, to achieve monetary gains, etc.
Difference between Website and Blog
A blog is mainly used to write about some topic of your own interest. A blog cannot act as a website. While a website is used to give information or details about a particular company or institution.
Another important difference between a website and a blog that you should regularly update the blog with new content for better results. You have to provide fresh and new content to your visitors of the blog regularly. While in the case of a website you don’t need to regularly update information. Websites are rigid in nature. Information on the website is evergreen.
Content in the blog should be under different categories, subcategories, and subtopics.
Content in blogs is written in the form of blog posts. Blogs show their content in reverse chronological order (New blog post is shown first or recent posts are shown first ) While in the case of websites, websites are just built with content that is separated within several pages. As mentioned earlier blog can be part of a website. But websites can never be part of a blog.
A blog provides RSS feeds, newsletters to its visitors, and also allows commenting to the posts of the blog, while the website does not provide such things.
Purpose of a blog vs the purpose of a website
The main purpose of the blog is to provide information on any topic based on the choice of interest of the blog owner. The blog serves as a medium between the owner of the blog and the visitor of the blog. The main of the blog is to provide informative and educational content to the people.
It is used to show a business on the internet. The website can be used to sell products of any business, institution, companies or organization.
Features of a Blog
- Provides educational and informative content
- Displays content in reverse chronological order
- Content is regularly updated
- The blog also allows communication between author and audience.
- Offers RSS feeds
- Offer contact form to contact the author
- Provide newsletters to its visitors
- Allows Email subscription
- Allows commenting on posts
- The blog is operated by an individual or a group of authors.
- Blog articles are organized by date of publishing, author, categories, subcategories, and subtopics.
Features of a website
- Mainly used for business purpose
- Display content in form of few pages
- Content is not regularly updated
- A website can have a planned collection of work
- Mainly operated by a company or institutions
- Can also have a Blog
- Offers feedback page to the client
- Allows visitors to get in touch with the owner of the website through a contact form
- Allows reviewing on products
- Have FAQ section to get more detail of product
What should you use, A blog or A website?
Well, know you think what is best a blog or a website or what we should use. Well, the solution depends on you. It depends on your demand and requirements. If you need to just write content or article on some topics and want to provide information to the people then in that case you can start a blog.
But if your need is to start a company or a business and want to showcase the information about your company or business on the internet then in this case you can start a website. Nowadays there is not enough difference between a blog and a website, both follow the same procedure.
Pros and Cons of a WordPress: WordPress vs Blogging
As we all know how the WordPress take full charge of the Internet by providing the content managing system. If you are preparing to develop a new website, you require to consider the pros and cons of WordPress that are given below.
- A wide range of professional templates and themes.
- You are able to update your WordPress at any time and from any PC or desktop.
- If you want to promote your shop’s products then WordPress is great for eCommerce.
- The excellent interface of adding the social network icons.
- Using WordPress sites is a little challenging to navigate the web design and development, particularly to those who did not have any knowledge before.
- WordPress is free, but you have to pay the price for using their premium tools such as plugins, themes, etc.
Pros and Cons of a Blogging: WordPress vs Blogging
Blogs are a popular source of learning new ideas, inspiration, and advice. It’s the invention of a blog that allows the greatest opportunity to build a bright career. Now it is very crucial to know some specific pros and cons of blogging that follows.
- A blog is an alive archive of particular sources of motivation, inspiration, and knowledge.
- Regular updates are very important to make a good blog.
- It’s a low-cost investment or you can start at free by using a google account.
- Versatility! You can operate on a blog anytime.
- Blogging is a time-consuming job, patience is a key to success in this field.
- It can be troublesome if writing doesn’t develop naturally.
Conclusion: So now it is up to you whether you start a website or a blog. You have to put your time, energy, and lots of effort into both a website and a blog to grow. I hope you have learned the basic purpose and difference between a blog vs a website.